Monday, December 31, 2007

Current Year's Resolutions

At the start of 2007, on the recommendation of my best friend, Jeannine, I started reading The Contortionist's Handbook, by Craig Clevenger.

I made it to page 132 in a couple of sittings, before it was displaced by other, technical material.

I've thought about finishing it on a number of occasions during the year, but each time I baulked at the re-reading required to remind my sieve-like memory of "the story so far".

A week or so ago, after discussing my pathetic novel-reading record during a Skype chat with Jeannine, I resolved to finish it before the year was out. However, as of yesterday, I still hadn't re-opened it, so the likelihood was looking pretty dim.

Tonight, after returning from a walk to the post office and discovering that my latest geek book hadn't arrived, I decided it was now or never.

I'm pleased to say, I have finally honoured my one and only resolution for 2007 ... and with more than half an hour to spare!

In fact, I enjoyed the remainder of Mr Clevenger's novel so much that I'm tempted to start 2008 by ordering his second opus, Dermaphoria, which sounds equally weird and wonderful.

Who knows, maybe I'll make it through two novels next year :-) !!

No comments: