Tuesday, January 8, 2008

One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure

Gavin gave me a hand this afternoon to take all the stuff that Vinnie's wasn't interested in downstairs, ready for the council pickup I've arranged for tomorrow morning.

It took over a dozen trips, with a number of rest breaks included!

During the transfer, one of my neighbours asked about the state of repair of a couple of the items, which he then took, with my blessing. He was also very happy to accept the table Vinnie's didn't want.

A friend of his, who was visiting, took a heater that had a broken switch, along with some tips from me on how to coerce it into behaving in a vaguely sensible fashion.

Once we'd finished our numerous trips up and down the stairs, Gavin and I spent the evening chatting about Mac software and the relative merits of using a command-based drawing system versus a GUI for creating mathematical diagrams.

He left around 10:30pm and I started rearranging the spare room, to make better use of the vast quantities of space now available to me.

A couple of minutes later, my phone rang. It was Gavin, calling from downstairs, suggesting that I pop down and take a look.

When I arrived, I discovered all that remained of the huge pile of my jetsam were one large and four very small items!

It had taken less than two hours for the neighbourhood to scavenge almost everything :-).

I say good luck to them! I was quite sad when Vinnie's said they didn't take electrical items, so it's fantastic that almost every piece of my "junk" was able to find a good home.

Much better than it all ending up in a landfill.

No comments: