Thursday, February 28, 2008

A New Path


As of around 1400 today, I'm now enrolled in a Graduate Diploma in Education, via distance learning, through the University of New England.

You may know, gentle reader, that it has been a long time plan of mine to teach mathematics, either at high school or TAFE.

Well, I decided a few weeks ago that it was time to start working towards that goal. Of course, as usual, I'd left it far too late and the only course that was still accepting applications was UNE's.

I then discovered that although applications hadn't closed, one component of the course, a residential school, had already happened ... back in January! The lecturer who told me that said it was a mandatory component and I should wait until 2009. So, I gave up at that point.

However, I got a call from someone at the admissions centre yesterday. It turned out that while the other person wasn't completely wrong, they hadn't told me the whole story. Having missed that component just means I can't finish the diploma in one year; it doesn't stop me from doing some of the other subjects.

So, to cut a long story short, I'm back studying again, which I love, and am happily strolling down the path to a new career.

As to when I'll actually leave computing and move on to teaching, who knows ... I'm sure that decision will be mainly based on how painful (or wonderful!) prac teaching ends up being :-).

No comments: